Need a generalizing specialist who's passionate about agile user experience? Pirkka Rannikko at your service!
User-Centered Design in Agile Software Development (or Agile UCD) is my master's thesis (from 2011) discussing the integration UX design and Agile development. If you're interested in the topic you can download the thesis as PDF and pass the link to your colleagues.
There are issues in traditional software development, e.g., the lack of user input and incomplete and changing requirements that can cause problems in projects. Both User-Centered Design (UCD) and agile software development are iterative approaches to development and can increase the chances for delivering a successful software product. User-Centered Design aims to deliver satisfying user experience (UX). It puts emphasis on end-users by conducting user-research and involving them in the iterative design and evaluation of the software in order to do so.
Integrating UCD and agile development would create a comprehensive systems development methodology. They do not have inherent obstacles that could prevent such integration, but both need to change before it can succeed. While no 'unified' Agile UCD methodology has been established, there has been a growing interest in learning how to integrate these two proven approaches over the last decade. Recently few books (see below) have been published about these topics Agile User Experience Design and Lean UX being the current buzzwords.
My thesis explores the integration of UCD and agile development through experience reports and studies that have been published in the industry and academia. It sketches a complete picture of the integrated development process and the related best practices. Also some advice related to organizational adoption of the process and its practices are provided.
Agile UCD Resources
Here's a list of some Agile UCD resources (last updated in 23.12.2014) I explored for the thesis and kept updating after its publication. Some require you to login (and some links are dead). Enjoy!
Please drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to see your Agile UCD content listed.
- Agile Experience Design: A Digital Designer's Guide to Agile, Lean, and Continuous (Voices That Matter)
- Agile User Experience Design: A Practitioner's Guide to Making It Work
- Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
- User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
- UX for Lean Startups: Faster, Smarter User Experience Research and Design
- Adapting Usability Investigations for Agile User-Centered Design
- Agile Development Iterations and UI Design
- Agile human-centered software engineering
- Agile Methods and User-Centered Design: How These Two Methodologies Are Being Succesfully Integrated in Industry
- Agile Usability: Report on Best Practices for User Experience on Agile Development Projects, 2nd edition
- Agile user centered design: enter the design studio - a case study
- An Agile User-Centered Method: Rapid Contextual Design
- An Approach to Integrating HCI and SE in Requirements Engineering
- Are agile methods good for design?
- Case study of customer input for a successful product
- Experiences Integrating Sophisticated User Experience Design Practices into Agile Processes
- Extreme designing: binding sketching to an interaction model in a streamlined HCI design approach
- Finding a Place for Discount Usability Engineering in Agile Development: Throwing Down the Gauntlet
- Focusing Extreme Programming on Usability
- Integrating agile methods for mixed reality design space exploration
- Integrating Extreme Programming and User-Centered Design
- Interaction Designers on eXtreme Programming Teams: Two Case Studies from the Real World
- Käyttäjäkeskeinen suunnittelu Scrum-prosessimallissa
- Managing UCD within agile projects
- Probing an agile usability process
- Process Agility and Software Usability: Toward Lightweight Usage-Centered Design
- Scenario-based usability engineering techniques in agile development processes
- Scenarios, Tall Tales, and Stories: Extreme Programming the Oak Grove Way
- Towards a framework for integrating agile development and user-centred design
- The UCD Perspective: Before and After Agile
- Two Case Studies of User Experience Design and Agile Development
- User-Centered Agile Methods
- User-Centred Design and Agile Development of IT Systems (Towards a Model for Bridging Agile Development and User-Centered Design)
- UCD in agile projects: dream team or odd couple?
- Up-Front Interaction Design in Agile Development
- UPi: a software development process aiming at usability, productivity and integration
- Usability Assessment of an Extreme Programming Project: Close Co-operation with the Customer Does Not Equal to Good Usability
- Usability in Agile Software Development: Extending the Interaction Design Process with Personas Approach
- U-SCRUM: An Agile Methodology for Promoting Usability
- Why doing user observations first is wrong
- Adopting User-Centered Design within an Agile Process: A Conversation
- Agile and UCD: Building the Right Thing, the Right Way
- Agile Usability Engineering
- Agile UX
- Are Agile and Usability Methodologies Compatible?
- Balancing UX Strategy with Lean and Agile | Roles in UX Strategy | UX Versus CX Strategy
- Beyond staggered sprints: How TheLadders.com integrated UX into agile
- Bringing User Centered Design to the Agile Environment
- Case study of agile and UCD working together
- Case study of agile and UCD working together
- Fitting Big-Picture UX Into Agile Development
- Four Factors of Agile UX
- Getting Agile With User-Centered Design
- Getting Real About Agile Design
- Hitting the Target: Adding Interaction Design to Agile Software Development
- How To Build An Agile UX Team: The Culture
- How To Build An Agile UX Team: Integration
- How To Build An Agile UX Team: Hiring
- Integrating UX into Agile Development
- Interaction Design Meets Agility
- Introduction to Agile Usability: User Experience Activities on Agile Development Projects
- Lean UX: Getting Out Of The Deliverables Business
- Lean UX and Rapid Innovation
- Lean UX: Getting Out of the Deliverables Business (presentation)
- Perception Is The Experience
- So Agile Together: How designers and programmers can join forces to create great experiences
- Sprinting UX
- The 100-Day Solution
- The Design Studio Method - Todd Zaki Warfel
- The Lean UX Manifesto: Principle-Driven Design
- The UX Professionals’ Guide to Working with Agile Scrum Teams
- Thinking & Making
- Twelve (12) emerging best practice for adding user experience work to agile software development
- Usability and User Interface Design in XP
- Usability in Practice: Agile Ux Development
- UX matters, Search Results for 'agile'
- UX - Scaled Agile Framework
- Why Agile Is So Hard
- Zen Agile