Need a web / interaction designer who's passionate about agile user experience?
Don't go any further, my name is Pirkka Rannikko! I've been working with the web since 2005 and have been wearing many funny hats including front-end developer, site builder, web / interaction designer, project manager, product owner and team leader etc. I'm currently employed at Pocum but I occasionally do some freelance work on my spare time.
Web Design and UX Skills and Expertise
I've always been passionate about user experience. For example in my work as a front-end developer it shows as a concern to “details” like progressive enhancement, web accessibility, search engine visibility and web performance (optimization). Later on as an interaction designer my interest has been in agile and lean user experience. I even wrote my master's thesis how to integrate User-Centered Design and Agile Software Development. It is important to show organizations that taking care of usability is easier and less resource intensive than they often think!
I've gained my experience working with big corporate web portals, intranets and web applications and with small websites like tkrekry.fi and tunnelmavalo.fi for example. Here's a list of things I have expertise in:
- User research
- Requirements engineering
- Interaction and user interface design
- Expert / heuristic usability evaluation
- Competitive analysis
- Usability testing
- Front-end development (HTML, CSS, JS, jQuery)
- Site building and CMS setup and integration (I've have experience from multiple CMS's e.g. Wordpress as well as from Sharepoint 2007 / 2010 branding.)
- Web accessibility
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Web performance optimization (WPO)
- Web analytics, Google Analytics (I've been IQ certified) and Google AdWords
Agile Software Development and Project Management
Besides my web and UX skills I am interested in software development in general and more precisely in agile software development. I've been a Certified Scrum Master and have picked up some agile know-how, process development and project management experience along the way. This hopefully reflects back to my work as a designer. I wrote my master's thesis how to integrate User-Centered Design and Agile Software Development which (and a lot of resources) you can find from this page.
Education and Work History etc.
- University of Tampere, Basic studies (25 credits) in Statistics 2013 -
- University of Tampere, Master of Science in Interactive Technology (thesis about Agile UCD) 2008 - 2011
- Häme University of Applied Sciences, Bachelor of Engineering in Media Technology (thesis about design and project management in digital media) 2003 - 2007
- Kaleva Senior Secondary School, Graduate 1998 - 2001
- Freelance web and interaction designer 2005 -
- Pocum, "User Experience Specialist/ Product Owner/ Development Manager" 02.01.2012 -
- Evolvit, Systems Designer 06.09.2010 - 21.12.2011
- Trainers' House (formerly Satama Interactive), Web Interface Programmer & Team Leader 01.08.2009 - 03.09.2010
- Satama Interactive, Web Interface Programmer 02.05.2007 - 31.07.2009
- Satama Interactive, Web Content Feeder 02.04.2007 - 30.4.2007
- Häme University of Applied Sciences, Trainee & Media assistant. Working as a designer and a project manager in different student projects. Assistant on a course about video production. 2005 - 2007
- Tampere Parking Houses Ltd, Trainee. Working on the Mediatunneli digital media project. 17.05.2004 - 27.08.2004
On my spare time I do some freelance work, roleplaying games, fishing, sailing, cycling and mounting biking.
Please drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to contact me.
User-Centered Design in Agile Software Development is my master's thesis discussing the integration of the two. If you're interested in the topic you can download the thesis as PDF and pass the link to your colleagues.
There are issues in traditional software development, e.g., the lack of user input and incomplete and changing requirements that can cause problems in projects. Both User-Centered Design (UCD) and agile software development are iterative approaches to software development, and they can increase the chances for delivering a successful project.
Integrating UCD and agile development would create a comprehensive systems development methodology. They do not have inherent obstacles that could prevent such integration, but both need to change before it can succeed. While no 'unified' Agile UCD methodology has been established, there has been a growing interest in learning how to integrate these two proven approaches over the last few years.
My thesis explores the integration of UCD and agile development through experience reports and studies that have been published in the industry and academia. It sketches a complete picture of the integrated development process and the related best practices. Also some advice related to the organizational adoption of the process and its practices are provided.
Download the PDF (1.9 MB).
Agile UCD Resources
Here's a list of some Agile UCD resources (some require you to login, some are dead) I explored for the thesis and kept updating after its publication. Enjoy!
- Agile Experience Design: A Digital Designer's Guide to Agile, Lean, and Continuous (Voices That Matter)
- Agile User Experience Design: A Practitioner's Guide to Making It Work
- Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
- UX for Lean Startups: Faster, Smarter User Experience Research and Design
- Adapting Usability Investigations for Agile User-Centered Design
- Agile Development Iterations and UI Design
- Agile human-centered software engineering
- Agile Methods and User-Centered Design: How These Two Methodologies Are Being Succesfully Integrated in Industry
- Agile Usability: Report on Best Practices for User Experience on Agile Development Projects, 2nd edition
- Agile user centered design: enter the design studio - a case study
- An Agile User-Centered Method: Rapid Contextual Design
- An Approach to Integrating HCI and SE in Requirements Engineering
- Are agile methods good for design?
- Case study of customer input for a successful product
- Experiences Integrating Sophisticated User Experience Design Practices into Agile Processes
- Extreme designing: binding sketching to an interaction model in a streamlined HCI design approach
- Finding a Place for Discount Usability Engineering in Agile Development: Throwing Down the Gauntlet
- Focusing Extreme Programming on Usability
- Integrating agile methods for mixed reality design space exploration
- Integrating Extreme Programming and User-Centered Design
- Interaction Designers on eXtreme Programming Teams: Two Case Studies from the Real World
- Käyttäjäkeskeinen suunnittelu Scrum-prosessimallissa
- Managing UCD within agile projects
- Probing an agile usability process
- Process Agility and Software Usability: Toward Lightweight Usage-Centered Design
- Scenario-based usability engineering techniques in agile development processes
- Scenarios, Tall Tales, and Stories: Extreme Programming the Oak Grove Way
- Towards a framework for integrating agile development and user-centred design
- The UCD Perspective: Before and After Agile
- Two Case Studies of User Experience Design and Agile Development
- User-Centered Agile Methods
- User-Centred Design and Agile Development of IT Systems (Towards a Model for Bridging Agile Development and User-Centered Design)
- UCD in agile projects: dream team or odd couple?
- Up-Front Interaction Design in Agile Development
- UPi: a software development process aiming at usability, productivity and integration
- Usability Assessment of an Extreme Programming Project: Close Co-operation with the Customer Does Not Equal to Good Usability
- Usability in Agile Software Development: Extending the Interaction Design Process with Personas Approach
- U-SCRUM: An Agile Methodology for Promoting Usability
- Why doing user observations first is wrong
- Adopting User-Centered Design within an Agile Process: A Conversation
- Agile and UCD: Building the Right Thing, the Right Way
- Agile Usability Engineering
- Agile UX
- Are Agile and Usability Methodologies Compatible?
- Beyond staggered sprints: How TheLadders.com integrated UX into agile
- Bringing User Centered Design to the Agile Environment
- Case study of agile and UCD working together
- Fitting Big-Picture UX Into Agile Development
- Four Factors of Agile UX
- Getting Agile With User-Centered Design
- Getting Real About Agile Design
- Hitting the Target: Adding Interaction Design to Agile Software Development
- How To Build An Agile UX Team: The Culture
- How To Build An Agile UX Team: Integration
- How To Build An Agile UX Team: Hiring
- Integrating UX into Agile Development
- Interaction Design Meets Agility
- Introduction to Agile Usability: User Experience Activities on Agile Development Projects
- Lean UX: Getting Out Of The Deliverables Business
- Lean UX: Getting Out of the Deliverables Business (presentation)
- Perception Is The Experience
- So Agile Together: How designers and programmers can join forces to create great experiences
- Sprinting UX
- The 100-Day Solution
- Thinking & Making
- Twelve (12) emerging best practice for adding user experience work to agile software development
- Usability and User Interface Design in XP
- Usability in Practice: Agile Ux Development
- UX matters, Search Results for 'agile'
- Zen Agile
So do you need someone who's passionate about agile user experience?
Drop a line to email@example.com if you do!